"They are yours!" (first trip to Ethiopia-part 2)
>> Thursday, December 8, 2011
On Monday we got up early, put on our nice clothes and left for court. The court building is very basic and looked like any other office building. But once we got to the fifth floor we were led into a large room full of people. Everyone in the room was there to see the one judge that oversees all adoption cases. Half of the people were adoptive families and the other half were people there to relinquish their kids. The mood in the room is very serious and respectful.
We waited about 25 minutes and then we were called into the judge's office along with the other two couples we were traveling with. The judge asked us if we had other kids and if they knew about the adoption and were happy about it. We easily said yes. Then she asked if we had learned about Ethiopia and if we planned to teach our kids about their heritage and culture. Again, we said yes. She then explained that the adoption would be final and were we sure we wanted to adopt these kids. That was the easiest yes of all! Then she said, "they are yours!" With those words we officially became the parents of Gayle Metekaeta Jones.
I fought tears as we left the room and then went downstairs. Our whole group was silent and I think we were in awe of what had just happened. Once we were outside we were able to talk and very quietly congratulate each other. I was very aware that the people around us could be there to give up their kids and tried not to show too much emotion.
Once we left court we went shopping. We knew we wanted to buy Gayle some traditional Ethiopian clothing in various sizes as well as find some gifts for Jared and Delainey. I am terrible at haggling so I left most of it to Jed. He was doing great until I got so uncomfortable with the haggling that I burst into the conversation and accepted their price. I know we could have gotten our items for less but by that time I was a little overwhelmed emotionally and not at the top of my game.
After our shopping trip we went to a wonderful Italian restaurant and art gallery. We sat in a room with walls covered in art work and ate yummy pizzas and pasta. It was a wonderful way to celebrate!
After lunch we went back to Hannah's Hope for some time with our little ones. Even though I know Gayle didn't understand I whispered into her ear that I was officially her mommy. My heart was overflowing with love for this precious little girl who was now my daughter.
The following day was our last day in Ethiopia. We spent all day at Hannah's Hope with Gayle with only a brief break back at the hotel for lunch and rest. At 5:00pm we had to say our goodbyes. Even though I have been trying to prepare myself for that moment for almost two years it was still harder than I imagined. Leaving without her was the hardest things I have ever had to do.
By 8:00pm we were sitting in our hotel lobby, packed and ready to go to the airport. Once we got to the airport we waited in one long line after another before finally making it to our gate. Our flight left at 11:30pm and nine hours later we were in Germany. We had a five hour layover before getting onto the next plane for an eleven hour flight to Houston. Once we got to Houston we missed our connecting flight, ran around the airport like crazy people and finally got onto a flight that landed in Austin at 7:30pm.
When we got home we were greeted by two ecstatic kids that were happy to have us back. One of the first things Delainey asked was when would we get to bring her new sister home. Oh how I wish I knew the answer!
0 comments:
Post a Comment